This is an excerpt from the Appendix of The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. I have always found it wise and spot on. I have also come to see this blog community as a Sacred Circle in the way that Julia Cameron describes it, so I wanted to share this with you. Thank you for being a part of the Circle.
I know there are those among you who fear undertaking projects that seem to demand many dark nights of the soul. Let me suggest to you that such nights may also be, in the beautiful Spanish words, noches estrelladas—star studded.
Like neighboring constellations, we can serve each other both as guides and as company. In walking your artist’s way, my deepest wish for you is the company of fellow lights and the generosity to light each other’s ways as we each pass temporarily into darkness.
Know this well: Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity. Let us form constellations of believing mirrors and move into our powers.
Sacred Circle Rules
1. Creativity flourishes in a place of safety and acceptance.
2. Creativity grows among friends, withers among enemies.
3. All creative ideas are children who deserve our protection.
4. All creative success requires creative failure.
5. Fulfilling our creativity is a sacred trust.
6. Violating someone’s creativity violates a sacred trust.
7. Creative feedback must support the creative child, never shame it.
8. Creative feedback must build on strengths, never focus on weakness.
9. Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity.
10. The good of another can never block our own.
Above all: No human power can deflect our good or create it. We are all conduits for a higher self that would work through us. We are all equally connected to a spiritual source. We do not always know which among us will teach us best. We are all meant to cherish and serve one another. The Artist’s Way is tribal. The spirit of service yields us our dharma: the right path we dream of following in our best and most fulfilled moments of faith.
Love to you all,